Community Paint Out
Calling all local & regional artists: paint in specified area in Downtown Canandaigua, 10:30am – 5pm.
Sponsored by the Ontario County Arts Council, refreshments provided by Ferris Hills at West Lake.
All local and regional artists welcome
9:00am – 10:30am – Registration & Check-in at the First Congregational Church(58 N Main St, Canandaigua, NY 14424) Pre-register below.
10:30 am – 12:30 pm – Paint Out Competition – all local and regional artists welcome
1:30-2:00 pm Community Paint Out Judging at the First Congregational Church
2:00 pm Winners Announced – cash prizes awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place,
Artwork offered for sale until 5:00 pm.
What: A two-hour, timed, plein air painting competition
CASH PRIZES: 1st Place $150 / 2nd Place $75 / 3rd Place $50
Cost: $10 Registration Fee (Pre-register below)
Who: Artists of all skill and experience levels.
Where: Main Street Canandaigua from City Hall to The Granger Homestead; with judging and sale at the First Congregational Church ((58 N Main St, Canandaigua, NY 14424)) Click here for map.
When: Registration from 9 – 10:30 am /Competition from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
PRE-REGISTRATION REQUESTED: All participants must pre-register online (below) or in person at the First Congregational Church (71 Main St., Canandaigua) the morning of the event. In-person registration and check-in will be available the day of the event at the First Congregational Church.
COMMUNITY PAINT OUT RULES
On the day of the competition: Saturday, June 10, from 9 – 10:30 am
- CHECK IN. Please come to our TENT in FRONT of the First Congregational Church at(58 N Main St, Canandaigua, to check in, have your canvas stamped, and receive tags for identifying your artwork. You may also register at this time if you have not previously done so.
- SET UP. Select a painting site within the competition boundaries, if you have not previously done so. You may set up your equipment before the competition officially begins at 10:30 am.
- BOUNDARIES. All painting must take place on Main Street between City Hall and The Ganger Homestead, defined for the competition to include the areas directly on Main Street. A competition boundary map will be provided at registration. Be sure that your site is in a safe location, out of the way of traffic, and not obstructing pedestrians from passing by or into shops. Permission from owner must be granted to be on private property.
- MATERIALS. Paint Out participants are required to bring all materials necessary for their work to be completed (e.g., canvas, paint, water, brushes, and an easel to work on and display your artwork during judging). We encourage you to bring an umbrella large enough to cover your work area to provide shade and protection in case of rain.
- BEGIN PAINTING. At 10:30 am, artists will begin to create their artwork. The artists must start with nothing pre-painted or pre-drawn and create their artwork ONLY during the Community Paint Out time frame. If the rules are violated, the participant will be disqualified.
- STOP PAINTING. The competition ends at 12:30 pm. All artists must stop painting at this time.
- PAINTING RESTRICTIONS. All work must be completed 100% “en plein air,” e.g., outdoors, during the competition.
- READY-MADE FRAME OR MAT. After completion, each painting MUST be framed and matted, in a manner that the work can properly be presented, displayed and handled.
- JUDGING. All artists must bring their completed work and easels to the First Congregational Church, located at 58 N Main St, Canandaigua, where judging will take place. Event staff will assist participants in setting up their easels for the Community Paint Out Exhibit and judging. THE ARTIST, WITH HIS OR HER COMPLETED ARTWORK, MUST BE IN PLACE BY 1:30 pm or HE OR SHE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Judging will occur between 1:30 and 2 pm.
- WINNERS: Paint Out winners will be announced at 2 pm.
- EXHIBITION AND SALE. All Paint Out artwork must have a title and price, as designated on tags provided for the competition, and is eligible for sale if desired by the artist. The exhibition and sale will conclude at 5 pm. All work and easels must be picked up by Sunday, June 18, at 5 pm.
- SALE RESTRICTIONS. The proceeds from any sales will be a 60/40 split with the Ontario County Arts Council (OCAC), which sponsors this event, with 60% to go to the artist and the remaining 40% to the OCAC. The event staff will handle the sale of all artwork. Any artist who sells his/her artwork on the side to avoid commission will be banned from future events. NY State Sales Tax will be added to the price of all artwork that sells, which is collected by the event staff. There will be event staff on hand to accept payment including payment by credit cards. The artist must provide his/her Social Security Number or Federal EIN for any sale over $600.
- DISQUALIFICATION: The OCAC and representatives of the Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition and Festival reserve the right to disqualify works deemed objectionable. They also reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not adhere to the rules and guidelines of the competition. All decisions of representatives of the Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition and Festival at Canandaigua will be final.
- PUBLICITY: Images of any work that are entered into the competition, as well as any “action” images taken in the field, may be used by the OCAC and representatives of the Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition and Festival at Canandaigua for publicity purposes for future competitions without prior approval.
- LOSS/DAMAGE/INJURY: The participant recognizes and agrees that neither the OCAC nor any individual or entity associated with the Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition and Festival at Canandaigua can be held responsible for any loss, theft or damage to any artwork and/or personal property that may occur in connection with this event, nor for any injuries of any kind that may occur in connection with this event.
Good luck to all participants!